Friday, March 16, 2012

Obsessions: A Writing Guilty Pleasure

Written by: J. F. Jenkins


Okay, I have a confession to make. I am obsessed with gel pens. There, I said it. Not regular pens, gel pens. I'm very particular about them even. I have tons of them that I've accumulated over the years. In fact, if you come by my blog you can check out a segment I like to call: The Grave Yard and see just how many pens I use and the assortment of colors they come in.

I have one for just about every color imaginable, even white (which I do use on black paper). Why so many? I can't not get them. The way they write is so smooth. I think that's my favorite part about them. It's why I love pens in general. They're smooth, gorgeous colors, and give me a feeling of power. When I write by hand, I'm writing some solid stuff. Productivity is amazing, and morale is high. There was a point in time when I collected every color of gel pen ever made by the jellyroll brand. I purposefully went and sought them out.

Another thing I'm obsessed with? Notebooks. Cute notebooks are amazing. I have more notebooks than I know what to do with actually. I tried organizing them all one day and assigning them with different tasks, but I can never stick to them. And I can never have too many. Cute covers and fun pages are always the best. The more colors the better, and the pages have to have lines on them of course. I'm very particular about that. Notebooks without lined paper never do well with me. I also love thick leather binding.

Am I the only one who has a thing for office supplies?


Price:

Buy it Here.

Blurb:


Cadence, JD, and Orlando couldn't be more different from one another. Under normal circumstances, the three wouldn't so much as say hi to each other if they could get away with it. Then an alien crashes through the roof of their local mall, and everything changes. Not only do the three teens gain new abilities, but they're also chosen to help fight in an intergalactic war where the next chosen battlefield is Earth.

Reluctant at first, they change their minds when the fight hits close to home. Teenagers from school start to go missing, and some are dead. Together they must learn to work together and solve the mystery behind these disappearances before more lives are lost.


Excerpt:


Alan stood straight like an arrow. Sir Oriol walked down the

line of Junior officers and stopped directly in front of him.

“You'ʹve been chosen for this mission because someone

thinks you are the best,” the man said, eyes locking on him as if

trying to make him falter. Instead he stood straighter, and Sir Oriol

continued down the line. “As you know, we are here to stop the

war on Altura from spreading to this planet. The people here are

much like us. They call their home Earth.

“The inhabitants of this planet do not need to suffer from

our war. We are to move in, eliminate the threat, and move out

before the Earth people realize the truth. They are not as educated

in the universe as we are. They do not know there is other life

beyond their own. We do not want to start a widespread panic.

“All of you have been chosen to take on a team of these

Earth humans. You are to train them and use their knowledge to

help us stop the Gelandrosimbol and Basatlavan from winning this

battlefield. Each of you have been given the coordinates of your

team. Our forces will be focusing in on an area referred to as the

Midwestern United States of America. Do all of you understand

your mission?”

“Yes, Sir Orioltogorthan,” all of the Juniors said in unison.

“Best of luck to you all then,” Sir Oriol said, saluted, and

then left the launching bay. But not before giving Alan one last

dark look. He leaned in and whispered, “And you can be sure your

father will know about everything that happens.”

Alan shook it off. Whether Sir Oriol believed in him or not

would not stop him from going on this mission. There was personal

business for him to attend to on Earth. The woman Alan was

betrothed to was on the planet somewhere. Ultimately, his mission

was to find her and bring her back to their home world again. She'ʹd

gone missing, and his gut told him she was involved in the war. It

was the reason he'ʹd joined the military to begin with. One step at a

time of course. First he would find his chosen charges on Earth.

Then he would find the woman he loved more than anything. No

one knew for certain if she was on Earth, but his gut told him so.

Having charges would give him an excuse to explore the planet in

search of her. His assigned coordinates programmed into his travel

guide, he checked to make sure his atmospheric shield was fully

charged. These devices would make sure he got to his destination,

and that he did so safely.

Stepping towards the launch director, he took in one last

deep breath to calm any final nerves.

“Sir Alanmendiquixanimackle, are you ready?” the director

asked.

He nodded. “Send me to Earth.”

No comments:

Post a Comment