Friday, May 3, 2013

Excerpt: Along Came Jordan - Brenda Maxfield



Laine was at Environmental Club — was there no escaping her? When I walked in, she looked up and for a split second, I saw fire flare from her eyes. “Emili, you lost?” she asked in a voice pulsing with irritation.

“Isn’t this Environmental Club?”

She jumped from her chair and came over to me. “Are you joining? Don’t you think it might be too much? I mean, a new school, and already on decorations committee for the ball?”

I regarded her expression, and noted the hint of desperation lurking behind the cool façade. “I think I can handle it.”

There was an awkward silence, and I thought she was going to forbid me to join. Then she broke into a stiff smile which didn’t reach her eyes.

“Okay, listen up!” She looked around the room and everyone gave her their attention. “This is Emili. She’s a sophomore and she’s new. She’ll be joining us.”

Thank you, Your Highness for introducing me.

I raised my arm in a half-wave and sank into a chair. On my left sat the most gorgeous guy I’d ever seen. His smooth chestnut hair swooped over his deep toffee eyes. He sat relaxed, dominating the chair with his size. I saw how his broad shoulders strained the fabric of his Nike T-shirt. A shiver crawled up my spine. I couldn’t help it, I stared. Was this Jordan?

No comments:

Post a Comment