Its Character Monday again and we are so very happy to feature Kay Springsteen and her second release with Astraea Press Lifeline Echoes. Lifeline Echoes releases tomorrow check out more about this amazing new contemporary novel and the characters that embody it.
Voices form a powerful connection. The day the earth rocked LA, Sandy Wheaton became a voice lifeline over the radio for trapped firefighter, "Mick." Less than 24 hours later, she had fallen in love with him. Shattered when she learned that rescue came too late, she sought solace Wyoming, his home state that he had loved and described to her in detail. Now, seven years later, she's made a life there as the owner of a popular local bar. But her wounds still feel fresh and she longs to let go of the past and her lost love so she can begin living again. When the local prodigal son returns home, the attraction is instant. It feels like she's known him for far longer than just a few days.
A son comes home. Sixteen years ago, Ryan McGee left home amidst controversy. After living through a harrowing trauma, he finally returns when his family needs his help through some troubling times. All he wants to do is make amends with those he hurt most and to get back to the life he'd never wanted to leave in the first place. When he meets the sexy bartender, he starts thinking in terms of forever. But there's still someone out there he wants to find, someone who once believed in him and gave him hope. Someone who had held his life in her hands...and then just disappeared.
Sandy Wheaton• What is your character’s name? Alexandra "Sandy" Wheaton. Does the character have a nickname? She ONLY goes by Sandy—no one where she lives now knows Alexandra.
• What is your character’s hair color? The color of dark chocolate Eye color? The color of chicory flowers....at least that's what Prodigal son Ryan McGee thinks....she just calls them blue.
• What kind of distinguishing facial features does your character have? Nothing too special. Her eyes ARE an unusual color.
• Does your character have a birthmark? Yes, but she'll never tell where or what. What about scars? No scars.
• Who are your character’s friends and family? She has no family left but she has friends in Orson's Folly, Wyoming, where she settled after a traumatic event in her past. Who does she surround herself with? She lives for her work and riding on her horse, Domingo.
• Where was your character born? Virginia. Where has she lived since then? All over. Where does she call home? Orson's Folly, Wyoming.
• Where does your character go when she’s angry? Riding across the prairie or up into the mountains on her horse, Domingo.
• What is her biggest fear? Loss. Who has she told this to? Recently, to Ryan McGee.
• Does she have a secret? No. Just a painful past she doesn't like to talk about.
• What makes your character laugh out loud? A good joke. Spending time with Ryan McGee.
• When has your character been in love? Seven years ago. Had a broken heart? Her heart was broken when the man died.
• What is in your character’s refrigerator right now? Not very much. She eats at the bar over which she lives. On her bedroom floor? Shoes, shoes, and more shoes. On her nightstand? An alarm clock. In her garbage can? General trash.
• Look at your character’s feet. Describe what you see there. Does he wear dress shoes, gym shoes, or none at all? At home, she likes to go barefoot. At work, she wears sandals. Riding her horse, she wears boots.
• Your character is doing intense spring cleaning. What is easy for her to throw out? She hates throwing out anything.
• It’s Saturday at noon. What is your character doing? Getting ready for her shift at the bar – Saturdays are busy days.
• Your character is getting ready for a night out. Where is she going? What does she wear? Who will she be with? She will probably wear tight jeans and a sexy shirt and high-heeled sandals. It's a western town...not so formal.
• What is your character’s name? Ryan McGee Does the character have a nickname? Ry
• What is your character’s hair color? Blond (and too long) Eye color? Green.
• What kind of distinguishing facial features does your character have? None.
• Does your character have a birthmark? No. What about scars? Yes. How did he get them? He won't talk about them.
• Who are your character’s friends and family? Father Justin and brother Sean are his family. His best friend is Joe Griffin, a helicopter pilot in California. There is also someone he's been looking for....but he doesn't talk about her often.
• Where was your character born? Orson's Folly, Wyoming. Where has he lived since then? Many places. Where does she call home? He's finally returned home to Orson's Folly, but not certain he should stay.
• Where does your character go when he’s angry? Walking, riding, to the high country, or driving the mountain roads in his vintage Corvette Sting Ray.
• What is his biggest fear? That it's too late to come home again. But he doesn't talk about that to anyone.
• Does he have a secret? Not a secret exactly, but a quest he's about to give up on and never shares.
• What makes your character laugh out loud? Fooling around with his brother, being with Sandy.
• When has your character been in love? Several years ago. Had a broken heart? He was on the way to falling in love when she just left.
Then dig deeper by asking more unconventional questions:
• What is in your character’s refrigerator right now? His brother feeds the household. On his bedroom floor? A rug. On his nightstand? His pocket gear—cell phone, watch, car keys. In his garbage can? Nothing.
• Look at your character’s feet. What's he wearing? Cowboy boots, well-worn and comfortable.
• When your character thinks of his childhood kitchen, what smell does he associate with it? Burnt food – from his father doing the cooking after his and Sean's mother died. Why is that smell so resonant for him? Remembers losing his mother.
• Your character is doing intense spring cleaning. What is easy for him to throw out? Everything. What is difficult for him to part with? Nothing.
• It’s Saturday at noon. What is your character doing? Ranch chores. Or going to town for lunch.
• What is one strong memory that has stuck with your character from childhood? The day his mother died. Why is it so powerful and lasting? She died in an accident and he was there.
• Your character is getting ready for a night out. Where is he going? Valentine's Bar. What does he wear? Clean shirt. Who will he be with? He'll go there with his brother....but come home....with...?
Thank you Kay for continuing to produce such amazing and original heartfelt stories. Kay's previous novel Heartsight can be checked out by clicking the link.
To connect with Kay your self click the link and check out her bio page at Astraea Press.com.