Thursday, November 27, 2014

AP Author Spotlight: Helen Pollard


 
Helen Pollard
 
 
Describe yourself in three words:
Loyal, conscientious, creative
 
Tell us a little about your latest release:
I’m a Yorkshire lass, so what better setting for 'Warm Hearts in Winter' than the beautiful Yorkshire moors? I got thinking about how cosy it would be to be snowed in at an isolated house with a loveable guy … and the story went on from there!
Blurb: Forced by circumstance into the world of temping, when Abby Davis accepts an assignment in the wilds of Yorkshire as personal assistant to a widowed novelist, she assumes he is an ageing recluse.
Thirty-something Jack Blane is anything but. Still struggling to get his life and writing career back on track three years after his wife’s death, Jack isn’t ready for a breath of fresh air like Abby.
Snowed in at his winter retreat on the moors, as the weeks go by and their working relationship becomes friendship and maybe more, Abby must rethink her policy of never getting involved with someone at work … and Jack must decide whether he is willing to risk the pain of love a second time.
 
 
What is your earliest memory?
I have a vague memory of a ride on a miniature railway when I was about two, but I can definitely remember being lost for several hours on the longest beach in Cornwall when I was four. My parents were beside themselves, but all I could think about was the fact that my brother had my sweets in his pocket when we got separated!
 
What would you consider the greatest moment in your life?
When my husband proposed to me. He’s been the best thing that ever came into my life, along with our two children, of course - and I couldn’t have had them without him!
 
What’s the hardest thing in in life you’ve done?
Watch my mother decline with dementia. She still knows who we are and that she loves us, which is a blessing, but otherwise she’s very limited – she can’t speak much and can be difficult to handle. I see her every week, and each time, I know I've lost another fraction of her.
 
What have you learned in life so far?
It’s a cliché, I know, but you can never please all the people all the time. That doesn’t stop me trying, but I worry less about it as the years go by! Being comfortable in your own skin is important – for me, that’s still a work in progress.
Also, a few years ago I read something about how people won’t always remember what you do or say, but they will remember how you made them feel. I wish I’d come across that a lot earlier in life.
 
 
Everyone’s favourite question: if you could invite five people for dinner, who would it be?
My husband, son and daughter - having them around the table means the world to me.
My late grandfather - I miss him, and I want to ask him why he didn't bother passing on his easygoing genes to the rest of us!
And finally? Bob Newhart – that man has given us so many hours of laughter.
 
 
 
Chance for our readers - what else would you like to know about Helen Pollard?

No comments:

Post a Comment