Tuesday, August 12, 2014

RELEASE DAY: J.J. Nite "Beginnings of the Heart"


 
Blurb:
When sixteen year-old Morgan finds herself unexpectedly pregnant, she’s not sure what her life will be like. With her boyfriend Cole, they try to navigate this new road that fate has set them on. Neither knows what to expect or how life will change.
Their family’s reactions to the news of their pregnancy are polar opposites. Cole’s parents are supportive while Morgan’s are much less making an already difficult situation even more so.
When tragedy strikes this new, small family, can everyone pull together or will it forever drive a wedge between them all?
 
 
Author:
J. J. Nite lives in North Alabama with her husband, 3 kids, a dog, turtle, and 5 goldfish.  She writes young adult sweet romance for Astraea Press and loves reading as much as possible. J.J.'s also found that if she doesn't write something everyday, her mood is that of a bear waking from hibernation. Don't worry though, the children have learned to let Mommy write a little before ap-proaching.
 
 
Now available on
Amazon Barnes& Nobel Smashwords
 
Excerpt:
 
Chapter One
 
I grew up in what could possibly be the smallest town on earth. As with most small towns, people always knew what everyone else was doing. This never really bothered me much because I never did anything to hold the gossips’ interest for longer than one minute.
Cole and I had been dating for almost a year, but until the summer when he got his license, we rarely saw each other outside of school. I lived in town, and he lived about ten miles outside of town. Not really a distance anyone wants to walk and neither of us could get a ride very often. So when he was finally able to drive, we had our first real date. My parents, especially my mom, were not overly enthused about it. They were civil to him, but they weren’t sure about me dating quite yet.
“No teenage daughter of mine is going to get into a car with a sixteen- year-old boy. All he’s going to do is want to show off for you, and I’d like you to get back home in one piece.” Mom said.
Fortunately for me, my father came up with a compromise. We would be allowed to go out, but we had to be back before dark. And if anyone saw him drive recklessly, then I wouldn’t be allowed to go again. My dad was more willing than my mom to give a little trust. I’m also fairly certain he wanted to see how much he could give us before we really got into trouble.
Cole and I weren’t thrilled with the arrangement, but we were still excited to get out just the two of us. No one walking through the room every ten minutes to check on us or sitting out on the porch eavesdropping. It would be nice to just talk without someone listening in.
We decided to go to Riverside, which was about fifteen miles away. It was the only town near us with a movie theater and Cole was going to take me out to lunch and a movie.
Cole came to get me around eleven o’clock. He pulled up in front of the house in the black pickup truck his dad gave him when he got a new one. I couldn’t tell, but I think he had washed it for our date. This made the smile I already had on my face even bigger.
He took my breath away when he got out of the truck. No matter how many times I saw him, the air flew from my lungs and my stomach contracted in nervousness. He had on a blue T-shirt, making his eyes stand out even more than usual, blue jeans that hugged his legs, and tennis shoes. This was his standard way of dressing, but today for some reason I couldn’t tear my eyes away from him.
It didn’t matter I had taken at least an hour to get dressed so I would look just right. I had finally decided on a blue jean mini-skirt and a yellow T-shirt with flip flops. My sister said the color made me look like I had more of a tan, as I was perpetually pale.
I started off of the porch to meet him halfway down the walk, my eyes never leaving his face, when I heard the screen door groan open behind me. I looked over my shoulder and saw my mother standing there.
“Remember what we said, home before dark.” She was staring at Cole with a disapproving look in her eyes.
I nodded my head with my bottom lip clenched between my teeth, trying very hard not to say anything.
“We’ll be home on time, Mrs. Taylor. I’ll take good care of her.” Cole said.
I heard my mom mumble something under her breath. Neither Cole nor I understood her though. We weren’t listening.
As he took my hand and we turned toward the truck, I saw my sister in the window and I waved at her. I think her smile was as big as mine.
The drive to Riverside was more than pleasant. We talked about everything and nothing of consequence all at the same time.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment