Sunday, February 5, 2012

Day 5

Day Five – Double Crossing by Meg Mims


A murder arranged as a suicide … a missing deed  … and a bereft daughter whose sheltered world is shattered.

August, 1869: Lily Granville is stunned by her father’s murder. Only one other person knows about a valuable California gold mine deed -- both are now missing. Lily heads west on the newly opened transcontinental railroad, determined to track the killer. She soon realizes she is no longer the hunter but the prey.

As things progress from bad to worse, Lily is uncertain who to trust—the China-bound missionary who wants to marry her, or the wandering Texan who offers to protect her … for a price. Will Lily survive the journey and unexpected betrayal?

Word Count: 69,000
Genre: Mystery, Romance, Historical

Today, February 5th, you can get Double Crossing for FREE. Go HERE and enter ND96D during checkout to get your free book! If you like this author, check out her contemporary Valentine’s Day romance, entitled The Key To Love, now available at www.astraeapress.com

Here’s what people are saying on Amazon:

Double Crossing is a fantastic read. I've rarely seen an author craft chapter endings with such gripping suspenseful moments that force you to turn the page, breathless to know what is going to happen. The characters are layered and intriguing. I hope there is a sequel because I want to know more about sexy, fascinating Ace Diamond, the honorable Texan gunslinger.




Mims' crisp style propels the action and delivers a well-rounded protagonist in Lily. But just because the prose is tailored like one of Lily's beautiful dresses doesn't mean Mims skimps on luxurious details and time-appropriate accessories. Authenticity abounds in the food, the clothing, the topics of conversation--something which has always impressed me about historicals when they are done well. (I can't fathom the amount of research Mims must have done for this story.)

At every step of the way, I was right there, riding the rails into the wild West on my way to California to hunt down a murderer. Since Lily is almost as much of a neophyte to this world as I, it was easy to experience the thrills and chills of the setting through her senses.

And, take note of the ending because it will certainly make you ready for the next book!


I love historical fiction and that is one thing that made this book so interesting. The story begins when Lily hands her father a message from her uncle about a mine in California. She distrusts her father's lawyer, who saved his life in the war. A short time later she hears a shot, sees the lawyer running out of the house and finds her father dead. If that isn't bad enough her father's disowned sister shows up and makes life miserable. Lily decides she is headed to California to her uncle's. Unfortunately someone is following her. She isn't sure who to trust. Although she makes friends with Kate and a ruffian she has hired to protect her, named Ace.

The character's were so believable. I felt so sorry for her when her aunt showed up. I felt even sorrier for her with Charles trailing around like a lost puppy dog. I loved Lily. She never said she wasn't afraid. She did however focus on what was happening and take control of situations the best she could. I loved the way the book ended leaving it open for another book. Hello, I still waiting for the next one, (tapping my foot with impatience in anticipation of the next work from this author). I will definitely look for more from this author.

I am a sentimental person. I wonder if Meg in her research came across Turkey Run in Indiana? I know exactly where it is. I am from a farm in Indiana and my family and I spent many happy summers camping at Turkey Run, which became a state park in 1916. Well done, Meg. You hooked me with that little tidbit.

2 comments:

  1. Hi,

    I have already read and reviewed 'Double Crossing' on my blog and like many others I am impatiently waiting for the sequel to be published.

    'Double Crossing' was a really easy going read, with enough of a plot to keep me turning the pages and just the right amount of romance to keep me guessing what will happen next.

    Great job, Meg.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww, thanks, Fiction Books!! I'm working on the sequel, hope to get it out later this year. Can't say when! :-D

    ReplyDelete